Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shinto

           When doing last week’s blog, I snuck a peak at some of the videos that we had to watch before doing this one.  After looking at “The Peach Orchard” I was thoroughly confused as to what the Shinto Religion actually is and what it believes in.  After hearing the lecture, it started to make a little more sense, however I do not feel as confident about this religion as I do the others that we have learned.
            In “The Peach Orchard” a little boy’s family cut down an entire orchard of peach trees and this seemed to upset the Kami.  Kami stands for the powerful or amazing things in nature to which the Shinto people pray, give offerings, etc.  Since there is no monotheistic creator, there are many Kami’s which prove to be important.  The family, according to Kami, committed a sin when the cut down this sacred orchard and they deserved to be blamed and punished.  This coincides with what Shinto’s believe, and that is to live harmoniously with nature and society in general.  There was no need for the family to cut this orchard down so it could have been considered a sin.
            I actually enjoyed this short clip because the little boy was able to explain himself to the Kami and prove to them that he wept because he liked the trees and did not want his family to cut them down.  Once the Kami’s realized that he was telling the truth, they gave him the gift of showing him the bloomed orchard one last time which was very touching.  I feel like this could relate to the Shinto religion in that even if someone or you commit a sin, you can apologize and seek forgiveness and Kami will forgive you.
            Although I still am a little confused as to what this religion exactly does, and to what extent they take their practices; I still enjoyed the short movie clip.  Having never heard of this religion, I feel like it is foreign territory to me but would not mind learning more about it.  The practices they have along with their shrines and such really intrigue me.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this religion seems the most confusing. To me, it seems as though it is a little disjointed, among other things. I also agree that looking over the notes just after watching the clip helped see how the two relate. I decided to do "Sunshine Through the Rain" and was lost before I took another look at the notes and did a little further research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine,

    Wow. The analysis you drew between sincere apologies and forgiveness in parallel to the young boy and the cutting of the orchard was absolutely phenomenal! You definitely blew me away and it is certainly very heart-warming to read about the analysis you drew.

    After reading about the scene's description, your views of Kami's reaction and the justifications for Kami's are very on point.

    Overall, I was truly truly impressed by your elevated understanding and ultimate portrayal of the concept and also the implications of forgiveness in the world as a whole. Phenomenal job.

    ReplyDelete