Sunday, February 13, 2011

Assignment #2

Aim 3: Worldly Success:

1. Lil Scrappy, Money in the Bank, Rap, 2006

2. Birdman, Money to Blow, Rap, 2009
3. The Balled of Jed Clampet, Beverly Hillbillies Theme Song 1962 :)
4. T.I., On Top of the World, rap, 2008
5.Lil Wayne, Got Money, rap, 2008



Aim 4: Liberation:

1. Carrie Underwood, National Anthem, classical?, 2007
2. Helen Reddy, I Am Woman, pop, 1975
3. Bob Marley, Slave Driver, Reggae, 1999
4. Destiny's Child, Independent Woman, Pop, 2005
5. Bob Marley, Revolution, Reggae, 1980

While thinking about which songs to pick for these two aims, (success and liberation) I realized that it actually took me quite a while to think of songs to fill these spots.  I started with liberation since I knew that it may be hard to find.  In Hinduism, liberation is the final and most difficult aim which allows you to achieve moksha, however in society today it seems that success is placed higher on the list than liberation.  Success is very important to most people and is the topic of many songs as well as conversations with fellow peers.  We hear people talking about how to get rich on a daily basis, however we hardly ever here anything about liberation.  I feel like everyone should be trying to strive for liberation since in most religions, you will be liberated when you die and reach your moksha.  I did find that liberation songs were easier to find when I related them to women's rights as well as slavery.  After fighting for their freedom, slaves were FINALLY liberated and were able to enjoy the world as free men.  This goes the same as with women's rights, we were 'owned' by men for hundreds of years and were not allowed to have opinions of our own.  After years of struggle, we were finally liberated.  I know that this liberation is somewhat different than in Hindu culture (when Hinduism people reach their final aim and pass, they are freed of their duty/work), but I think this was one of the only times that America seemed to put liberation above success.  As for now and most likely many years to come, we will continue to talk about ways to earn a lot of money as well as hear song after song about how 'rich' people (famous people) spend their ridiculous amounts of cash.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on America's idea of liberation. Our idea is fleeting while hinduism's liberation is very succint and precise../ you come to a final resting place, and meet Brahman. Our liberation is how much we can accomplish in one lifetime, as opposed to over several, with never reaching true freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you when you say that in the U.S. success is given more importance than liberation. We are encouraged to be successful in school, relationships, our careers, etc. When I was picking my songs for liberation, I went with more of a personal liberation kind of interpretation. I never thought about specific events in history that could be tied into liberation, such as women's rights and slavery, but those issues definitely portray liberation that was eventually achieved.

    ReplyDelete